Good Neighbor Gives Time to Food Shuttle of Western New York | News
Buffalo, NY - This time of year, we are more aware of the problem of hunger in our community, but it doesn't go away when the holidays end. There are good neighbors who work year round to help.
For more than a decade now, Bob Moses and his wife Judi have been volunteering with the Food Shuttle of Western New York. They pick up food that grocery stores or other businesses can't sell. Food that is still good, but would otherwise end up in the garbage. They then deliver it to food pantries that give it to people in need.
Bob says, "It takes about an hour to an hour and a half start to finish. It feels good to give back."
Bob got started as part of a school project with his children. Now, he encourages others to get involved. "I just feel there's a lot of need out there, and I just feel like if I can do one little thing, I did my job. Then you do one little thing, and you feel like I better do another little thing, and it just keeps growing."
If you would like to donate your time, the Food Shuttle of Western New York is made up of all volunteers. Drivers can choose a permanent route or participate on a fill-in basis. You can learn more about volunteering by calling the Food Shuttle of Western New York at 716-688-2527.
Top Eastside Stories
Upcoming Events near Eastside
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Buffalo Transportation Pierce Arrow Museum -Special Hours for Memorial Day Weekend
- Catholic Charities to Host Domestic Violence Training Focusing on New York Model for Batterers
- Bespoke Men’s Line to Launch in Buffalo
- Senator Grisanti's Bill Designates Pedestrian Bridge 'Scajaquada 9/11 Memorial Bridge'
- Dog Seriously Burned in House Fire Needs Your Help
- Elmwood-Bidwell Farmers Market Lists May 25 Events
- New Flavors and Cuisines at Sun Restaurant
- Kennedy, Ryan Welcome Homeowner to Renovated 19th Street Home; Announce Housing Grant for West Side
- Local WWII Vet Shares Amazing Story of Survival
- Permanent Food Vendors to Replace Winter Market at Horsefeathers