After Several Delays, MLK Park Is Near Completion | News
BUFFALO, NY-- Better late than never, right?
It appears the splash pad at Martin Luther King Park on Buffalo's east side is finally finished.
Sam Herbert, a community activist who has been watching over the project, contacted 2 On Your Side to say the crews finished pouring the last concrete pad and were packing up their equipment on Thursday.
Buffalo Public Works Commissioner Steve Stepniak told 2 On Your Side late Thursday afternoon that he is not ready to call the project complete just yet.
He says that in a project of this scope, there is a long check list to go through to make sure everything is running right. They have to look over everything from the concrete work to the elaborate electronics that will control the spray system on the splash pad.
Stepniak also said they just want to get the project done, and done correctly. He declined to say whether any fines would be imposed on the contractor for a missed deadline.
The $4.5 million project to restore the splash pad was supposed to be completed in July, however, there were several delays in the project.
Once complete, the basin will be used for a splash pad in the summer, a reflecting pool in the fall and a skating rink in the winter.
The contractor of the project, Man O' Trees, was removed from a job in Niagara Falls for not completing a road project for the City in time.
Investigative Post, a partner with 2 On Your Side, discovered delays in a $6.4 million project Man O' Trees was contracted out to complete on Ellicott Street by the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus.
Top Eastside Stories
Upcoming Events near Eastside
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Memorial Day Commemoration Features Military March
- Buffalo Transportation Pierce Arrow Museum -Special Hours for Memorial Day Weekend
- Catholic Charities to Host Domestic Violence Training Focusing on New York Model for Batterers
- Bespoke Men’s Line to Launch in Buffalo
- Senator Grisanti's Bill Designates Pedestrian Bridge 'Scajaquada 9/11 Memorial Bridge'
- Elmwood-Bidwell Farmers Market Lists May 25 Events
- New Flavors and Cuisines at Sun Restaurant
- Kennedy, Ryan Welcome Homeowner to Renovated 19th Street Home; Announce Housing Grant for West Side
- Local WWII Vet Shares Amazing Story of Survival
- Permanent Food Vendors to Replace Winter Market at Horsefeathers