Buffalo Girl Takes Runner Up in Singing Competition | News
BUFFALO, NY - Alexis Spight is 19-years-old woman with a powerful voice and a huge dream.
The Buffalo native hoped to be crowned Sunday Best.
She was a finalist on the BET Network show Sunday Best. "I'm just a regular kid with red hair who sings," Spight told 2 On Your Side's Claudine Ewing during an interview.
The finalist with the most votes will win a recording contract, new truck and a cash prize.
Unfortunately, Alexis came in second place on the show's season finale that aired Sunday night.
Alexis made it to the Top 20 out of 15,000 people who auditioned for the show. "I just feel that I'm obligated to sing gospel because I just owe God for everything that he's done," she said.
The Performing Arts graduate relocated to Kansas City eight-months-ago with her parents.
Her singing started very young according to her great-grandmother Constance Brooks. "She came up singing. Whenever she was in the house she would be singing all day long. She would get up in the morning singing. I said I guess it pays off."
Alexis will be in Buffalo Sunday evening to watch the show at the Performing Arts School. She was surrounded by friends and family has the results were announced and then gave a live performance for everyone.
Her family plans to join her from Buffalo and Kansas City where she now resides with her parents. "Even if she doesn't she's still a winner," said her grandmother Denise Morse.
Michelle's parents are also graduates of the Performing Arts School in Buffalo.
Upcoming Events near Eastside
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Buffalo Business Leaders Organize Chippewa Alliance
- Construction Continues on Riverworks Project
- Grisanti Names Kelly Carrigg 'Veteran Of The Month'
- Catholic Charities WIC to Host Breastfeeding Walk, Healthy Baby Festival Aug. 8 in Erie County
- Local public health efforts bolstered by use of health information exchange
- NYC-BASED VENTURE CAPITALIST AND BLOGGER FRED WILSON TO SPEAK AT LARKIN SQUARE ON AUG. 5
- Check Out The Erie County Fair Admission Discounts
- Whirlpool-Rapids Bridge Inspection Lane Construction to Result in Canada-Bound Traffic Closure
- Buffalo River Fest Park Hosts 3rd Annual “Wardstock”
- New Tifft Street Pier and Boardwalk opens to public