Crews Battle Large Fire at an East Side Auto Shop | News
BUFFALO, NY - Fire crews are on the scene of a large fire on Bailey and Hewitt Avenues on the city's east side.
The 2-alarm fire started shortly before 4pm when the owner of the automotive repair shop heard a strange noise from an air compressor. That's when he ran across the street to the fire station for help.
When crews arrived, the fire had spread and multiple minor explosions where heard. We're told the explosions were caused by combustibles that were inside the building.
It appears the entire auto shop has been destroyed including a neighboring Chinese restaurant. Those inside both buildings were able to get out safely. Two other buildings that contained three separate households were also heavily damaged.
The American Red Cross will be assisting 11 people who were displaced, including ten adults and one teenager.
Buffalo Fire Commissioner Garnell Whitfield tells us 4 firefighters were taken to ECMC to be treated for minor burns and heat distress.
Upcoming Events near Eastside
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Check Out The Erie County Fair Admission Discounts
- Whirlpool-Rapids Bridge Inspection Lane Construction to Result in Canada-Bound Traffic Closure
- Buffalo River Fest Park Hosts 3rd Annual “Wardstock”
- New Tifft Street Pier and Boardwalk opens to public
- World-renowned AIDS researcher among victims of downed Malaysian flight