Buffalo Co-workers Win $1 Million Powerball Prize | News
BUFFALO, NY - State lottery officials come to Buffalo today to present a check to 13 co-workers who won $1,000,000 playing Powerball.
The group work at a local packaging company.
Group spokesperson, Richard Anzalone, explained that they always pool their money together when the Powerball jackpots start to grow.
"When the jackpot starts to get really big, we'll all throw a couple dollars into a pool for a chance to win the big one," said Anzalone. "When everyone was told the day after the drawing that we hit for a million dollars, we thought it was an April Fool's Day joke."
The ticket was sold at the Sunrise Market on William Street.
The co-workers are second-prize winners in the March 31st $60 million dollar jackpot.
The $1,000,000 Powerball second prize is paid as a one-time lump sum cash payment. The group will receive a net check totaling $661,800 after required withholdings. "We each put in the same amount for the drawing, so we'll split the prize evenly among us," explained Anzalone. "We don't really have specific plans for the money. We're just very thankful for the win."
The winners are:
• Richard Anzalone
• Greg Koeppel
• Janis Boland
• Wayne Krytus
• Leah Calkins
• Andrew McDonough
• Carmelita Cawthon
• Sarah Plenty-Paige
• Diane Correa
• Nancy Pokrywa
• Karen Dickey
• Cynthia Sudlik
• Michael DuVall
The Powerball numbers drawn for March 31, 2012 are: 05-14-36-54-58 and powerball 27.
Top Eastside Stories
Upcoming Events near Eastside
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Buffalo Transportation Pierce Arrow Museum -Special Hours for Memorial Day Weekend
- Catholic Charities to Host Domestic Violence Training Focusing on New York Model for Batterers
- Bespoke Men’s Line to Launch in Buffalo
- Senator Grisanti's Bill Designates Pedestrian Bridge 'Scajaquada 9/11 Memorial Bridge'
- Dog Seriously Burned in House Fire Needs Your Help
- Elmwood-Bidwell Farmers Market Lists May 25 Events
- New Flavors and Cuisines at Sun Restaurant
- Kennedy, Ryan Welcome Homeowner to Renovated 19th Street Home; Announce Housing Grant for West Side
- Local WWII Vet Shares Amazing Story of Survival
- Permanent Food Vendors to Replace Winter Market at Horsefeathers