Buffalo Co-workers Win $1 Million Powerball Prize | News
BUFFALO, NY - State lottery officials come to Buffalo today to present a check to 13 co-workers who won $1,000,000 playing Powerball.
The group work at a local packaging company.
Group spokesperson, Richard Anzalone, explained that they always pool their money together when the Powerball jackpots start to grow.
"When the jackpot starts to get really big, we'll all throw a couple dollars into a pool for a chance to win the big one," said Anzalone. "When everyone was told the day after the drawing that we hit for a million dollars, we thought it was an April Fool's Day joke."
The ticket was sold at the Sunrise Market on William Street.
The co-workers are second-prize winners in the March 31st $60 million dollar jackpot.
The $1,000,000 Powerball second prize is paid as a one-time lump sum cash payment. The group will receive a net check totaling $661,800 after required withholdings. "We each put in the same amount for the drawing, so we'll split the prize evenly among us," explained Anzalone. "We don't really have specific plans for the money. We're just very thankful for the win."
The winners are:
• Richard Anzalone
• Greg Koeppel
• Janis Boland
• Wayne Krytus
• Leah Calkins
• Andrew McDonough
• Carmelita Cawthon
• Sarah Plenty-Paige
• Diane Correa
• Nancy Pokrywa
• Karen Dickey
• Cynthia Sudlik
• Michael DuVall
The Powerball numbers drawn for March 31, 2012 are: 05-14-36-54-58 and powerball 27.
Upcoming Events near Eastside
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Grisanti Names Kelly Carrigg 'Veteran Of The Month'
- Catholic Charities WIC to Host Breastfeeding Walk, Healthy Baby Festival Aug. 8 in Erie County
- Local public health efforts bolstered by use of health information exchange
- Teams compete to climb the grease pole
- Utility work closes part of Church Street downtown
- NYC-BASED VENTURE CAPITALIST AND BLOGGER FRED WILSON TO SPEAK AT LARKIN SQUARE ON AUG. 5
- Check Out The Erie County Fair Admission Discounts
- Whirlpool-Rapids Bridge Inspection Lane Construction to Result in Canada-Bound Traffic Closure
- Buffalo River Fest Park Hosts 3rd Annual “Wardstock”
- New Tifft Street Pier and Boardwalk opens to public