Buffalo Man Charged with Murdering 10-Year-Old Stepson | News
BUFFALO, N.Y. - Buffalo Police have made an arrest in connection with the death of a 10-year-old boy found in the basement of an east side home.
Detectives say Ali Mohamad Mohamud was arrested and charged with allegedly murdering his 10-year-old stepson, Abdifatah Mohamud.
Mohamud was arraigned this afternoon in City Court on 2nd degree murder charges. Erie County Assistant District Attorney Thomas Finnerty entered into court records statements made by Mohamud to police in which he admits to binding the boys hands, stuffing a sock into his mouth, duct taping the boy's mouth and beating him to death.
Finnerty asked that Mohamud be held without bail. The request was granted.
Buffalo Police Chief Dennis Richards tells 2 On Your Side that police were called to 30 Guilford Street around 10:45pm Tuesday night for a report of a missing person.
An officer searching the home for the child, found the boy's body in the basement.
Mohamud, who works as a security guard at the Buffalo News, was not home when police were called to the home. He was located at work and arrested Tuesday night.
Mohamud was charged with second degree murder was arraigned Wednesday morning.
Sources and neighbors tell 2 Your Side police have been at the home in the past.
Richards would not confirm details about how the boy died, but another source tells 2 On Your Side that Mohamud allegedly took the boy to the basement to discipline him for not doing his homework.
Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown expressed his sorrow at news of the boy's death.
If you know of an instance where a child is being abused or neglected, call the New York State Central Registry at 1-800-342-3720.
Top Eastside Stories
Upcoming Events near Eastside
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Buffalo Transportation Pierce Arrow Museum -Special Hours for Memorial Day Weekend
- Catholic Charities to Host Domestic Violence Training Focusing on New York Model for Batterers
- Bespoke Men’s Line to Launch in Buffalo
- Senator Grisanti's Bill Designates Pedestrian Bridge 'Scajaquada 9/11 Memorial Bridge'
- Dog Seriously Burned in House Fire Needs Your Help
- Elmwood-Bidwell Farmers Market Lists May 25 Events
- New Flavors and Cuisines at Sun Restaurant
- Kennedy, Ryan Welcome Homeowner to Renovated 19th Street Home; Announce Housing Grant for West Side
- Local WWII Vet Shares Amazing Story of Survival
- Permanent Food Vendors to Replace Winter Market at Horsefeathers