Guilty Verdict Returned in Teen's Shooting Death | News
BUFFALO, NY- An Erie County Court jury has found a 25-year-old Buffalo man guilty in the fatal shooting of a 15-year-old girl.
The six men and six women deliberating over two days convicted Kevin Davis II of second degree murder Thursday afternoon. Davis was charged in the death of Dominique Maye on September 30, 2010. The teen was sitting at a computer when she was hit by a stray bullet from an AK47 shot into her aunt's Hewitt Avenue home.
"Justice was served but it doesn't bring Dominique back. And I hope he gets the maximum, that's all," said Brian Stiles, Dominque's stepfather, following the verdict.
Thursday morning the panel of six men and six women heard a read back of testimony from Janae Parker. Parker, a witness for the prosecution, had testified that she drove Davis to the home that day where he proceeded to jump out and spray the house with bullets.
Other witnesses, who said they were also in a street gang with Davis, provided further testimony, and admitted participating in plotting the attack. But they said the intended target was actually Dominique Maye's brother...who it turned out was not home at the time of the shooting.
"It just made no sense. Dominique never did anything to anybody," Stiles said.
All of those witnesses, however, testified with immunity in connection with the shooting, something Davis's lawyer brought out several times in the course of the three week long trial, in her effort to discredit them.
"The fact that they themselves will never be charged and admitted cooperating in this murder is deeply disturbing to me, and should be deeply disturbing to you," attorney Emily Trott told WGRZ-TV. "The prosecution made a deal with the devil, but it worked out for them," Trott said.
Davis II faces 25-years to life behind bars when sentenced next month.
Click on the video player above this story to watch our report from 2 On Your Side Reporter Dave McKinley and Photojournalist Bob Mancuso.
Click here to read Dave McKinley's blogs.
Upcoming Events near Eastside
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Shark Girl Sculpture Unveiled at Canalside
- New DNC headquarters going up at breakneck speed
- Seneca Buffalo Creek Casino and Duff’s to Debut at National Buffalo Wing Festival
- BUFFALO RIVER FEST PARK HOSTS “HALFWAY TO ST. PATRICK’S DAY PARTY” ON SEPTEMBER 5TH
- Another Inmate Suicide at the Erie County Holding Center
- South Buffalo Alive to Host Bricks in the Bowl Celebration
- South Buffalo Charter School Unveils New $21 Million Building
- Buffalo Firefighters Battle Orlando Street Fire
- First Ward Neighbors Volunteer Time, Effort to Create Mural
- A Girl Scout troop spent their Saturday helping one woman turn her former bookstore into a bedroom.